Impala Club Kenya is a Private Members Club that is sports oriented. Our facilities include: an ultra-modern Health and Fitness Spa, a well-stocked Members Bar, Catering facility offering fairly priced and delicious meals, a floodlight Rugby pitch, separate Hockey and Soccer Pitches, Six Tennis and Five Squash Courts, Cricket Pitch with its own Pavilion, Big Screen TV in the main lounge, a Board Room, ample secure Cabro parking and expanded and refurbished 33 meter Swimming Pool, where Members and their Guests enjoy, Rugby, Swimming, Cricket, Gym, Hockey, Walking, Jogging, Table Tennis and Socializing, over our ample, well maintained grounds. We also have a Ladies Salon, a Barber shop and a Car Wash facility.
The Old Cambrian Club, essentially a rugby club formed by old boys of the Prince of Wales School today known as The Nairobi School was formed in 1930 playing their rugby at The Prince of Wales School. They also played at other grounds which they hired for a small rental fee up to the Second World War. During the War years, the club was dormant and was resurrected in 1945 to compete in the Nairobi District Rugby Championships.
From 1945 The Old Cambrians searched for its own home ground and in 1949 through the efforts of the Old boys Reggie Alexander, Bernard Kampf and Tabby Block acquired the present Ngong road grounds.
Two second hand army huts were acquired and erected on the present site. The huts were supported on Cedar posts 3 feet above the ground level founded on a hard stratum below the black cotton soil. An open verandah was added as well as extensions for changing rooms kitchen and offices.
Membership to the Old Cambrian Club gradually increased through the opening of its doors to cater for the needs of other supporting disciplines. The Club expanded by constructing two Tennis courts, a squash court, the cricket oval, hockey and soccer grounds. In 1956 the Membership decided that the Name “Old Cambrians Club” no longer reflected the Membership at that time and decided to change the name to “Impala Sports Club – an Impala was the Old Cambrian emblem. The first Chairman was Mr. Duncan Mc Gregor who had been rugby captain of old Cambrians from 1949 to 1951.
The swimming pool was constructed in 1958.
Expansion of the club house continued between 1960 and 1970 especially with the tennis and squash courts.
Tennis and squash in particular attracted large numbers of members in the early 1970s and it was not uncommon for 50 tennis players to turn up on Thursday evening to participate in the weekly men's mix-ins.
Every Thursday at the club house, it was a common sight to see two long parallel lines of tennis players stretching from one side of the lounge to the other. At week-end fixtures they assembled in the “Wimbledon Lounge” which was built in 1975 to serve as a separate lounge for social functions.
The year 1974, remains a most memorable year for Impala Sports Club due to its remarkable sporting achievements. The year saw the Rugby side win its filth Enterprise Cup consecutively. The Tennis section won all four divisions of the Nairobi League, the Kenyan Squash Champion, Marshall Mulwa was from Impala Club squash section; the Cricket section won the Cricket Knock-Out Cup. beating all the Forest Road Clubs The trophy cupboard overflowed with silver plate.
The success of the 1970s was epitomized M a mural painted on the stone wall of the lounge showing sportsmen in action. The artist Arthur Lewis managed to convey the sporting heritage of Impala Sports Club by depicting five sportsmen displaying their powers in sports
The heady days of the Club activities came to an abrupt end on a sad night in 1986 when the entire wooden Impala club house was destroyed by fire together with all the club trophies and records all lost. All that remained were two photographs, the marble top pool table, the mural on the wall and a list of past Chairmen up to that time
For two long years devoted Impala Club dire heart members (camped) under the swimming pool area shelter. As members camped at the poolside they consulted one another on best ways to design and finance the construction of a new (current) club house. The club house was to be economical both in construction and finishes especially the area of where the main bar would be located. The club house a slightly larger building and constructed on the same site of the old club house, was opened on October 1988. The Impala Sports Club house serves its purpose but it could not quite recapture the special convivial atmosphere of the original timber building. But with determination and vigor, Impala Sports Club should aim to refocus its energies to being a dominant sporting club in Kenya.
Meet The Team
Meet the current members of the commitee